Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Foodies?

"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will." - Robert Frost



Overall I really don't hate cooking and truthfully, I'm not all that bad at it. But, I do hate the idea of getting home from work at 6 pm and everyone (Hubs and me that is) is starving and saying "What's for dinner?" There's just so much pressure that comes with that statement.

The last thing I want to do after working all day is sweat in a hot kitchen just so we can have something to eat. Not to mention, if I do want to cook, then I probably don't have the right ingredients. (I know I could make this easier by meal planning, but I just don't feel like doing that right now, maybe later when kids are involved:)

Therefore, we usually go out to eat. This habit of our has gotten increasingly difficult since moving to Savannah, which surprisingly has FEW good restaurants. There are lots of 'touristy' restaurants which cost a small fortune, but they are seriously lacking on your every day run of the mill restaurants. We were so frustrated the other night that we made a list of our "regulars" that we miss back in TX:

1. Mexican Food (Ninfas, Los Cucos, On the Border, La Bodega, Fuzzy's Tacos, Abuelos, Rosas, Fuego, Jose's, Chuy's) and those were just our regulars.
2. Freebirds or Chipotle (the bigger franchise version of Freebirds)
3. Cheddars
4. Good Barbecue
5. Pizza Buffets
6. Pei Wei
7. Genghis Grill
8. McAllisters
9. Fish Daddy's
10. Johnny Carinos
11. Layne's or Canes (the franchise version of Layne's)
12. Kolaches (I just had to throw that in there, because I miss them so!)


I purposefully included mostly chain restaurants, because I don't expect Savannah to have the local joints. But seriously people need to start some restaurants around this town! So, I guess this has inspired me to start cooking again.

This past weekend I whipped up some homemade banana, almond pancakes for breakfast on Saturday. Then made an eggplant parmigiana from this Food Network recipe for Saturday night. Sunday I made some homemade chocolate cupcakes with chocolate ganache. And Monday I made this cajun chicken pasta from The Pioneer Woman.

All the things were great, which makes cooking much more fun! Monday at work, I actually found myself thinking about cooking, and I was excited. Funny how changing your perspective on things can change your mood! Anyway, hopefully I'll keep this up! Tomorrow I plan on making fire roasted corn guacamole and chicken enchiladas. (Maybe I'll remember to take a picture to share)!

Happy Cooking!

1 comment:

  1. Girl I totally feel ya. ;) I'm trying to get better myself. Your recipes sound delish!!

    ReplyDelete