Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Eastbound and Down

So, I've taken a pretty long absence from blogging to say the least. It's not that life's been boring, I just haven't felt up to documenting it. But, now that we are living in Savannah, I've decided that I want to start blogging again. Mainly so that we can recall this time in our lives, and have pictures and stories to remember it by, but also so that family/friends can keep up with us won't forget about us. Ha!

So, ask our family...we move a lot. But this move was the hardest one by far! Maybe it had something to do with the fact that it took 3 full days of loading and driving, or that it was 1100 miles, or that Drew was driving a huge truck pulling a car trailer and I was following. By the end of it, I was wishing we would have just paid the $6000 to have it done for us....ok maybe not...I don't care where I have to move, I will never pay that much to watch someone move my stuff while thinking to myself "I would do it this way". Ha! Either way I know I don't want to do it again for let's say 28 months or so ;)

Believe it or not, I didn't procrastinate, and actually began packing 6 weeks prior to move date. So, most of our stuff was already boxed up which made "loading" the easy part. While unpacking I must have forgot that it took me 6 weeks to get all the crap packed, because I was annoyed/frustrated/mad when 5 days after moving in it still looked like a tornado inside. Anyway, here is a picture of the truck half way loaded.
I had really been wanting new living room furniture, luckily Hubs agreed this would be a good time to get rid of it and lighten our load :) So we sold the old in College Station, and I bought new once we got to Savannah (I will post on the house later). Here we are pulling out about an hour behind schedule, or in Drew's words "off like a herd of turtles." Ha!

We made it all of 45 miles to Conroe when the check engine light came on in the truck, so we stopped and called Penske which took another 30 minutes. Anyway, we put oil in the truck and were on our way again. Luckily after that it was smooth sailing! My view the entire trip behind a truck with no cruise control...grrr

We decided to stop for the night around 11 in Crestview, FL. Since we had the dogs with us and were only going to be at the hotel for roughly 7 hours I thought we could stay in a cheaper hotel. Weellll, this hotel was shady for multiple reasons, but the icing on the cake was when Drew took the dogs to the bathroom and stepped over a ledge and onto a hobo. Needless to say, we packed up and went down the road to a little nicer place!

We finally made it to Savannah around 4 the next day and then the real fun began...unpacking and organizing. I'll leave you with these cute pics of Jax & Finley traveling, and our old bungalow in one of the historic neighborhoods in Savannah, Also, everyone has been asking how we like it here. So far, we like it, but there are 3 things we are really missing: MEXICAN FOOD!, good barbecue and live music!

1 comment: